Sunday, June 6, 2010

Getting Away...

I used to love my city. Everything in it, and everything around it had yet to explored by my young eyes. I remember catching bus 24 from Hollencamp and Seeley by Residence Park where I resided, and being awestruck by the daily occurrences of people I had never seen. Although my mother held me close, she couldn't restrict my mind from its imagination. Catching X5 out to the mall brought even more surprises. Several characters crossed my eyes ranging from the one-eyed alcoholic prophet (who SWORE he kicked it with Jesus), to the adolescent girl who grew up way too fast; their youthful faces not very far developed from their child's portrait.

However, as I got older, the city of Dayton, OH had lost its innocence. I never really saw the appealing cycles of life I did in my youth, more than I did see rundown buildings, loss of commerce and populace, kids w/o focus, and things of that nature. It hurt me. And I didn't want to see it anymore.

Going to college, I felt, would give me some type of distance from the raucous I experienced back in the city. New people, new environment, and an actual chance that I could make it out. Needless to say, somethings never change. This unfinished piece was written (moreso scratched) when I came home from a visit to my mother's.

Dated 12/17/2009

Its a shame when things all fall down
Even more we can't see it because nobody is around
In search of something different, its "heroes" all left town
And in their rearview mirrors, watched it burn to the ground

Every other weekend I travel to a desolate zone
A barren piece of land that I'm forced to call home
Dayton, OH a place I used to love to call my own
Has changed, a lot, now that I have grown and moved on

To the next steps that I hope lead me out
Of an immature decay we often talk about
But Wright State is a damn mirror image of my community
They got frats on Gettysburg,
but with guns they pledge immunity

A hoe gon be a hoe
And in both worlds, they are the same
Alcohol and a fat wallet means they ain't gotta know yo name
And even the best of women, think the WORST niggas done changed
Silly rabbits, I see em trick, and comfortably feel estranged

And at the same time, simultaneously, feel like they kin,
Or a least someone that's keen...cuz those same people are my friends...



No comments:

Post a Comment